Dry cough is a cough where no phlegm or mucus is produced. It is irritating and usually associated with a prickly throat. Dry coughs are often caused by viral illnesses such as cold and flu, but allergies or throat irritants can also cause it.
Home remedies for dry cough
While finding out the reason for a dry cough and getting medical attention is important, there are some home remedies for dry cough that can help you soothe its symptoms at home.
This is an infusion made by boiling the bones of healthy animals along with herbs and spices. The natural collagen helps to strengthen the gut lining increasing the body’s immune system and it is also soothing to the throat.
Vegetable or meat soups can help to add nutrients and hydration that increases the body’s healing process.
It has anti-inflammatory properties that help to reduce inflammation in the throat. It may also help break down mucus and soothe throat. Try adding honey to a glass of lukewarm water or green tea. You can also mix haldi in a teaspoon of honey and consume first thing in the morning.
Herbs and spices
Herbs are packed with nutrients that can help boost immune system via your gut. You can add these to your teas or in your daily foods to enjoy its properties.
- Haldi is a potent anti-inflammatory spice. It can easily be consumed in our daily foods. It helps to break down food, absorb adequate nutrition and aid digestion. You can consume it with honey, skim milk, almond milk and all daily foods. Try Tata Sampann Haldi, which is sourced from the farms of Salem, Tamil Nadu. It contains natural spice oils and comes with guarantee of 3% curcumin.
- Ginger is a great herb that has antibacterial and anti-inflammatory properties. Like turmeric, it aids digestion and boost the immune system. It can be consumed as herbal tea along with black pepper. It can also be added to most of the foods.
- Garlic is naturally antibiotic, anti-fungal, and antibacterial. It can help tackle symptoms of many illnesses. For the most potent effect, mince a clove of garlic and float in a small glass of water and drink quickly.
- Cinnamon, besides being a good blood sugar level stabiliser, is an effective antiviral and antibiotic. Consume 1 teaspoon of cinnamon with 1 teaspoon of honey to relieve cough and congestion.
Fermented foods and probiotics Add fermented foods also known as probiotics to your daily diet. These are the healthy bacteria that help modulate the immune system keeping infections away. You can make fermented vegetables at home such as carrots, cucumbers and raddish. Curd is also loaded with the healthy bacteria. Consume 1-2 tablespoons of fermented vegetables daily for lunch and dinner along with 2 servings of curd is beneficial.
Causes of dry cough
• Air purifier can help get rid of all the home air borne irritants such as dust and smoke. Breathing clean air helps to reduce throat irritation.
• Additionally, air humidifier adds moisture to the air, which can provide relief when it comes to dry cough, as dry air tends to aggravate it.
• Gargle with salt water helps to ease the discomfort caused by the dry cough. You can try this three or four times in a day to tackle a dry cough.
• Essential oils, such as eucalyptus oil, work as a decongestant. You can add few drops in hot water and inhale the steam.
Next time, you find yourself having an itchy, scratchy throat, try these quick home remedies for dry cough while you wait for your doctor’s appointment. These can provide some relief and help you soothe your troubles.
The views and opinions expressed, and assumptions & analysis presented in this content piece are those of the author(s) and do not necessarily reflect the official policy or position of any other agency, organization, employer or company. The information, including but not limited to, text, graphics, images and other material contained on this website are for informational purposes only. The purpose of this website is to promote broad consumer understanding and knowledge of various health topics. It is not intended to be a substitute for professional medical advice, diagnosis or treatment. Always seek the advice of your physician or other qualified health care provider with any questions you may have regarding a medical condition or treatment and before undertaking a new health care regimen, and never disregard professional medical advice or delay in seeking it because of something you have read on this website.