From the health benefits of elaichi to the use of this aromatic spice in Ayurvedic medicine, the known advantages of elaichi are plenty. Keep reading to learn more about the many cardamom uses and benefits.
Health Benefits of Cardamom
Eating cardamom benefits those with high blood pressure, as one study showed a normalisation in blood pressure after 12 weeks of 3g daily intake of cardamom powder. This is likely due to its diuretic and antioxidant capacities. Due to the antioxidant properties of cardamom, this spice has also proved effective in fighting inflammation.
Eating cardamom benefits healthy digestion too, as it is effective against gastric ulcers. Fighting cavities is yet another one of cardamom’s uses for health. One study showed it prevents the growth of a number of cavity-causing bacteria. Another cardamom benefit is its capacity to fight common bacteria like E.coli, salmonella and campylobacter. Cardamom has been used for thousands of years to help with digestion. It’s often mixed with other medicinal spices to relieve discomfort, nausea and vomiting.
Elaichi benefits breathing and oxygen uptake too, one study showed in subjects that inhaled elaichi essential oil. One animal study showed the benefits of eating elaichi may even extend to fighting anxious behaviours.
Cardamom Benefits as per Ayurveda
In Ayurveda, cardamom is considered a tridoshic spice which helps balance the Vata, Pitta and Kapha doshas. It is also known for its warming and soothing capacities.
Cardamom Nutritional Benefits
Cardamom is rich in minerals like potassium, calcium, magnesium and phosphorus. While they vary in flavour, the black cardamom health benefits and green cardamom health benefits are largely shared.
Benefits of Cardamom Milk
Make the most of green cardamom benefits with some delicious elaichi milk. In a saucepan, warm 4 cups milk, 4-8 crushed green cardamom pods, 1 cinnamon stick and 3 tbsp honey. When the edges begin to bubble, turn off the heat and steep for 20-30 minutes. Strain and enjoy the small cardamom benefits for health.
Benefits of Elaichi for Weight Loss
One of the many elaichi powder benefits is that it aids weight loss through improved metabolism and digestion. One animal study even showed that cardamom is good for health as it prevents obesity, inflammation and oxidative liver stress associated with high carbohydrate, high fat diets. Another study conducted with overweight prediabetic women showed cardamom benefits weight loss as supplementation was associated with a decrease in weight and waist circumference.
Elaichi Water Benefits
This is a commonly known home recipe for weight loss. To reap the maximum benefits of cardamom water, crush 3-4 cardamom pods, add them to a glass of water and cover it. Let this sit overnight, strain and drink daily.
Cardamom Benefits for Skin
Due to its antibacterial and antifungal properties, the benefits of eating cardamom extend to healthy skin and hair. Traditionally, this spice is said to be useful in treating acne marks and blemishes. Black cardamom benefits the scalp as well by nourishing the skin and hair follicles.
Now that you know all about the benefits of eating cardamom daily, be sure to include this super spice into your diet. Eat smart!
- Spices, cardamom [USDA]
- Blood Pressure Lowering, Fibrinolysis Enhancing and Antioxidant Activities of Cardamom (Elettaria Cardamomum) [NCBI]
- Cardamom powder supplementation prevents obesity, improves glucose intolerance, inflammation and oxidative stress in liver of high carbohydrate high fat diet induced obese rats [NCBI]
- Quantitative Phosphoproteomic Analysis Reveals γ-bisabolene Inducing p53-mediated Apoptosis of Human Oral Squamous Cell Carcinoma via HDAC2 Inhibition and ERK1/2 Activation [NCBI]
- Gastroprotective Effect of Cardamom, Elettaria Cardamomum Maton. Fruits in Rats [NCBI]
- In Vitro Susceptibility of Helicobacter Pylori to Botanical Extracts Used Traditionally for the Treatment of Gastrointestinal Disorders [NCBI]
- Antimicrobial Activity of Amomum subulatum and Elettaria cardamomum Against Dental Caries Causing Microorganisms [Research Gate]
- Antimicrobial Activity of Essential Oil and Various Extracts of Fruits of Greater Cardamom [NCBI]
- A Review of Temperature, pH, and Other Factors That Influence the Survival of Salmonella in Mayonnaise and Other Raw Egg Products [NCBI]
- Evaluation of the efficacy of cardamom aromatherapy on aerobic fitness & autonomic functions among students. [Research Gate]
- The Effect of Elettaria Cardamomum Extract on Anxiety-Like Behaviour in a Rat Model of Post-Traumatic Stress Disorder [NCBI]
- The effect of cardamom supplementation on serum lipids, glycemic indices and blood pressure in overweight and obese pre-diabetic women: a randomized controlled trial [NCBI]
The views and opinions expressed, and assumptions & analysis presented in this content piece are those of the author(s) and do not necessarily reflect the official policy or position of any other agency, organization, employer or company. The information, including but not limited to, text, graphics, images and other material contained on this website are for informational purposes only. The purpose of this website is to promote broad consumer understanding and knowledge of various health topics. It is not intended to be a substitute for professional medical advice, diagnosis or treatment. Always seek the advice of your physician or other qualified health care provider with any questions you may have regarding a medical condition or treatment and before undertaking a new health care regimen, and never disregard professional medical advice or delay in seeking it because of something you have read on this website.